Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gifted Hands

I've wanted our oldest to watch this movie for sometime but it's always so expensive (usually between $18 - $20). I've never paid more than $10 for a movie and $5 is my average. So we don't own a lot of movies and that doesn't bother me a bit. Recently our Hollywood Video went out of business and guess what my husband got for $1?? Yes!! Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story!!

Sunday evening we put it in and WoW! Did he love it!! He asked so many questions that evening and then more came with breakfast the following morning. It opened up so much conversation. We talked about anger (something he struggled with), not controlling our anger, where depression comes from (something his mother struggled with), God's provision and protection even in the midst of our sin, the affects of TV, use of our imagination, God's will for our lives, and a few other things. What's the best is that it all stemmed from his own thoughts. We didn't force these conversations on him! Yesterday he wanted to listen to classical music pretty much all day! (Ben Carson listens to classical music while he operates)

Just such amazing conversation and influence this had on him. As I was poking around I found this children's version of his biography and was able to read a good bit of the sample and I think it will be great. I'm going to order it as soon as possible and it will be our next read aloud! I'm so excited about this. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love this movie!! I didn't know about the book, I hope our library has it. Thank you for reminding me about this truly inspiring man.

    ReplyDelete